F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 2016 330e engine temperature too high drive moderately e
Studio RSR

05-04-2024, 01:54 PM   #1
Simonw347
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330e

2016 330e engine temperature too high drive moderately e

Hi All

Today I was driving on a dual carriage way when I got a message flash up in amber of "engine temperature too high drive moderately to cool engine".

The temperature gauge on the dashboard was barely registering although being hybrid this isn't unusual so it hadn't worried me until the amber high temp message.

Luckily I had some charge so switched to max electric drive and take the next exit and pull up. There was steam coming from the radiator cap and once cooled down I opened it and there was no visible fluid. I had some water in the car and it took 3 litres to bring it up to level.

I wasn't far from home so drove slowly and when I got home opened the bonnet and again steam from the coolant cap and the level was down.

I couldn't see any signs of leeks. The engine oil looks ok and no obvious
signs of anything wrong.

As with all these things it always happens when everything is shut! Just wondering if anyone has any idea of what might be going on with the car as I cant get to a garage until Tuesday at the earliest
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 07:50 AM   #2
M80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 330i Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonw347 View Post
Hi All

Today I was driving on a dual carriage way when I got a message flash up in amber of "engine temperature too high drive moderately to cool engine".

The temperature gauge on the dashboard was barely registering although being hybrid this isn't unusual so it hadn't worried me until the amber high temp message.

Luckily I had some charge so switched to max electric drive and take the next exit and pull up. There was steam coming from the radiator cap and once cooled down I opened it and there was no visible fluid. I had some water in the car and it took 3 litres to bring it up to level.

I wasn't far from home so drove slowly and when I got home opened the bonnet and again steam from the coolant cap and the level was down.

I couldn't see any signs of leeks. The engine oil looks ok and no obvious
signs of anything wrong.

As with all these things it always happens when everything is shut! Just wondering if anyone has any idea of what might be going on with the car as I cant get to a garage until Tuesday at the earliest
If your 330e is like my 330i, then the dash temperature gauge is oil temperature, not water. It took me a while to work it out when I first got my car and I wondered why it took so long to get up to temperature. If I'd looked closely enough, the little 'oil can' symbol would have given it away!
Hope you get yours sorted; it it took 3 litres to top it up then you obviously have a major leak. Coolant vent line between the head and expansion tank is a relatively common fail apparently.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 04:34 PM   #3
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

B48 engine.... infamous for coolant leaks.

Check all hoses for leaks especially the ones you can't see easily.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 04:08 AM   #4
Simonw347
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330e

Well took it a local garage and it looks like a split in a hose so hopefully not too serious
Appreciate 0