F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > nbt to nbt evo f30
ARMA SPEED

01-19-2023, 02:12 AM   #1
Madbma
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335 m sport

nbt to nbt evo f30

Hey,

This has probably been covered before but can’t find any.

I have a f30 335 m sport 2013

I wanna change head units to nbt evo and wanna know what’s involved?

I’m currently looking at buying a head unit from m3 2018 and wanna know if it’s a straight swap.

I know there will be coding involved
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 02:24 AM   #2
Finn2k1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d

You either buy a precoded head unit to your vin or you source a head unit on your own and using feature installer you buy FSC codes and code it yourself on bench.
If you are coming from a TCB telematics you also need an ATM for GPS.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 02:36 AM   #3
Madbma
Registered
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn2k1 View Post
You either buy a precoded head unit to your vin or you source a head unit on your own and using feature installer you buy FSC codes and code it yourself on bench.
If you are coming from a TCB telematics you also need an ATM for GPS.
Do you know anywhere that is cheaper for pre coded unit than bimmer tech?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 11:09 AM   #4
random_flasher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F56

I have one headunit to sell. NBT EVO N software with full screen carplay installed, can precode to your VIN
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 11:01 AM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbma View Post
Do you know anywhere that is cheaper for pre coded unit than bimmer tech?
I sure do

I just did the ID6 NBTEVO HU upgrade in my 2015 435 F32 - bought the unit complete & pre-coded from Steve @ CodeMyBimmer dot com

He can be contaced thru his site or here on the forum. Keep in mind time difference between your location & Hong Kong when looking for a reply

In my case I had the NBT NEXT ID4 HU with HUD, 8.8 non touch screen & the old 3G Telematics module, so for addons I needed the GPS Port addon where they custom install needed electronics inside the HU to allow HU to get GPS for Nav from my original telematics without having to swap to ATM + the NBT Screen Adapter Cable which allows you to keep your existing screen if you want since the voltage outputted by the NBTEVO HU is different.

I did NOT need to buy the ID6 iDrive knob (which has different button mapping than my original) - Steve can code the unit to match your existing knob button mapping (since I had already done the ceramic knob iDrive retrofit I didn't want to got back to non ceramic version)

All the necessary mods & coding are done ahead of time @ Steve shop and will come pre-coded to match your VIN + any other additional optional misc coding you want done (such as stuff you can do thru Bimmercode)

I opted not to get the touch screen since it is really only beneficial if you plan on using Carplay with your apple device (I use Android). For anything else it is not necessary & the screen in the F series is kinda far away at any rate & hard to reach.

You do lose your BMW Connected Services, Weather, etc. but you should have already lost those due to BMW discontinuing 3G service.

Steve had the lowest price for this conversion & I can definitely vouch for the quality of the equipment supplied and his thoroughness in coding correctly. Once you talk with him he will prolly also give you a promo code for an addtional $100 off this upgrade. Unit is basically PnP. You will add (1) WiFi Antenna (supplied) for the Carplay @ rear of unit & your old Telematics cable will remain disconnected. All other cables simply swap over to the new HU at appropriate places.

I asked for the latest hardware rev unit that is available 4.1 just to make sure it was as new as possible.

> I can't say enough about how great it was dealing with Steve from beginning to end. He is quik to reply to emails and has no problem calling you on the phone to go over everthing. Very professional & knows what he's doing. Shipping was super quik @ 3days from his Hong Kong based business to the U.S.

After install all worked perfectly as it should - new updated design of the ID6 over ID4 is great

Shortly after this conversion I also bought a new 6WB Cluster from BMW, installed it & had Steve remoted code it to my car.

All in all, these (2) upgrades were the best $$ I spent on my car other than the Turbo/engine upgrades
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 01-22-2023 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-22-2023, 09:41 AM   #6
Egoy936
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535

I sell these upgrades for $1000 shipped
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 12:30 PM   #7
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I sure do

I just did the ID6 NBTEVO HU upgrade in my 2015 435 F32 - bought the unit complete & pre-coded from Steve @ CodeMyBimmer dot com

He can be contaced thru his site or here on the forum. Keep in mind time difference between your location & Hong Kong when looking for a reply

In my case I had the NBT NEXT ID4 HU with HUD, 8.8 non touch screen & the old 3G Telematics module, so for addons I needed the GPS Port addon where they custom install needed electronics inside the HU to allow HU to get GPS for Nav from my original telematics without having to swap to ATM + the NBT Screen Adapter Cable which allows you to keep your existing screen if you want since the voltage outputted by the NBTEVO HU is different.

I did NOT need to buy the ID6 iDrive knob (which has different button mapping than my original) - Steve can code the unit to match your existing knob button mapping (since I had already done the ceramic knob iDrive retrofit I didn't want to got back to non ceramic version)

All the necessary mods & coding are done ahead of time @ Steve shop and will come pre-coded to match your VIN + any other additional optional misc coding you want done (such as stuff you can do thru Bimmercode)

I opted not to get the touch screen since it is really only beneficial if you plan on using Carplay with your apple device (I use Android). For anything else it is not necessary & the screen in the F series is kinda far away at any rate & hard to reach.

You do lose your BMW Connected Services, Weather, etc. but you should have already [...]
There were several facts you posted that confused me until the end when I was finally able to figure out what you had actually done. So some clarification is needed to clean this up for others.

First you stated you had ID4 and a GPS plug was added so you could continue to use your GPS without an ATM.

Thing is, most every ID4 Unit is HW 2.x up until late 2016/early 2017 builds. These units generally have GPS ports already, so anyone saying they added one for you is charging for something already there. Fear not, that’s not what really happened in your case.

Next you talk about needing the OEM GPS etc as you use Android. The ID4 HW 2.x units crash when using the factory nav as the HW 2.x HU only has 2GB of Memory. That’s not the situation you describe, in which you are very happy, which made the post even more confusing.

Then you state the OP should have already lost their Connected Drive with the 3G Sunset. The OP is in Australia. Telstra is not shutting down their 3G until June 2024. Optus and Vodafone have both turned off their 3G in the 2100Mhz band, but 3G continues to work normal in their 900Mhz bands. There are no plans as to dates when it will be turned off in the future for the later either. So Connected Drive is not lost for OP in AUS. This US also true in a number of other Countries for the foreseeable future. Now, iirc, Vodafone is the carrier BMW Connected Drive uses in AUS. And as stated, no 3G Sunset has been even announced which they do years ahead of time.

Then you finally state you specified a HW 4.1 unit as it was the newer model.

This is where I was finally able to decode your post.

HW 3.x+ except for a few early units built late 2016-early 2017 had no GPS plug on the back. That connection or another solution certainly would be needed for GPS info in a HW 4.1 unit. So that’s what Steve did.

And speaking of which, you did not buy a ID4 HW 4.1 unit as you originally stated to start the confusion. HW 2.x = ID4, HW 3.x = ID5 and HW 4.x = ID6. You all ready had ID6 in your HW 4.1 unit, not ID 4. Many people have the mistaken impression ID6 is CarPlay. It’s not. But CarPlay needs to run on top of at minimum ID6 Lite which HW2.x and HW 3.x can run.

If you are old enough, think how DOS was needed on a PC and then Windows was installed on top of DOS. That ended with Windows 95, but even the later Windows 98 needed that base DOS system underneath it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 05:58 PM   #8
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I'll have to disagree on some of that

I never said I bought an ID4 unit - said i HAD an NBT ID4 and bought NBT EVO ID6 (which is actually ID6 Lite)

And that is definitely why Steve added the needed electronics so I could continue to use my old telematics module instead of the ATM it was meant to use (did not want to go down route of trying to retrofit ATM)

Never said I needed the oem GPS because I use android - said I didn't get the touchscreen option because that is really only beneficial for use with carplay, which i would never use since I am android. For simple use of going thru the menus the touchnscreen is not needed IMHO, and the screen is too far away to use comfortably, easier just to use the knob

As for losing 3G I will believe your explanation as I am definitely not familiar with it being still available in other countries. I mistakenly assumed bmw quit using it across the board

And again I never stated I bought an ID4 unit, but I do agree with your assessment of hardware version vs. Software version

And I definitely am old enough and still remember

My 1st computer was a Radio Shack Tandy 1000 with Intel 8088 cpu, a whopping 128kb ram, 16 color graphics, floppy disc, parallel printer port, ms-dos built into the ROM, Phoenix Bios
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 01-23-2023 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 01:35 AM   #9
Madbma
Registered
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabzer View Post
I have one headunit to sell. NBT EVO N software with full screen carplay installed, can precode to your VIN
Where u from
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 04:24 AM   #10
random_flasher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbma View Post
Where u from
Europe
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 06:54 AM   #11
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I sure do

You do lose your BMW Connected Services, Weather, etc. but you should have already lost those due to BMW discontinuing 3G service.

Steve had the lowest price for this conversion & I can definitely vouch for the quality of the equipment supplied and his thoroughness in coding correctly. Once you talk with him he will prolly also give you a promo code for an addtional $100 off this upgrade. Unit is basically PnP. You will add (1) WiFi Antenna (supplied) for the Carplay @ rear of unit & your old Telematics cable will remain disconnected. All other cables simply swap over to the new HU at appropriate places.

I asked for the latest hardware rev unit that is available 4.1 just to make sure it was as new as possible.

> I can't say enough about how great it was dealing with Steve from beginning to end. He is quik to reply to emails and has no problem calling you on the phone to go over everthing. Very professional & knows what he's doing. Shipping was super quik @ 3days from his Hong Kong based business to the U.S.

After install all worked perfectly as it should - new updated design of the ID6 over ID4 is great

Shortly after this conversion I also bought a new 6WB Cluster from BMW, installed it & had Steve remoted code it to my car.

All in all, these (2) upgrades were the best $$ I spent on my car other than the Turbo/engine upgrades
Glad to hear about your positive experience with us 1QuikWS6!

Enjoy the upgrade
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 05:57 AM   #12
Drish-FU8
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3, BMW E90 LCI 335i

Hi as i saw here are many Idrive professionals in this thread

Maybe you can easily answer my questions.

First of all I own a M3 2015/03 with ID4. I want to upgrade to ID5/ID6 Light or even ID6. This depends on things I'll lose or not. Regarding that I'd like to know, at which option I'll loose what?

# Option 1 - Upgrade Ram from 2 to 4 GB on my existing ID4 and get it coded to ID6 (light? - Not quite sure..)

# Option 2 - Buy an ID6 HU and retrofit it to my car. As far as I know there are adapters needed for the CID and ATM ? So that solution will make me loose some things like connected drive, right?

# Option 3 - Buy an ID5 HU and code it to ID6 light. That should work without loosing anyhting, right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I hope you can help me out in that case
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 09:24 PM   #13
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drish-FU8 View Post
Hi as i saw here are many Idrive professionals in this thread

Maybe you can easily answer my questions.

First of all I own a M3 2015/03 with ID4. I want to upgrade to ID5/ID6 Light or even ID6. This depends on things I'll lose or not. Regarding that I'd like to know, at which option I'll loose what?

# Option 1 - Upgrade Ram from 2 to 4 GB on my existing ID4 and get it coded to ID6 (light? - Not quite sure..)

# Option 2 - Buy an ID6 HU and retrofit it to my car. As far as I know there are adapters needed for the CID and ATM ? So that solution will make me loose some things like connected drive, right?

# Option 3 - Buy an ID5 HU and code it to ID6 light. That should work without loosing anyhting, right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I hope you can help me out in that case

03/15 would mean that you have NBT and not EVO so this would not be an option.

This is possible but most NBT EVO HUs do not have the GPS port built in so if you want to retain factory Nav, you'll either have to get one from a vendor that can custom add the circuit and GPS port. You will still lose ConnectedDrive in this case.

If your built date was 07/15, that would be the case but you will still lose ConnectedDrive since your vehicle has the TCB telematics unit and not ATM.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0