F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > The seats in my 430i Grancoupe are too narrow - what are my options?
GetBMWParts

05-04-2024, 08:29 AM   #1
MR2Aaron
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 430i GranCoupe

The seats in my 430i Grancoupe are too narrow - what are my options?

Hey folks! I've had my 430i GC for about six months, and while I generally really like it, I think I've concluded that its seats don't fit me very well. The back is fine, but the base is too narrow, and presses uncomfortably against my left leg and hips after a while. I've tried all sorts of different ways of adjusting it, and while some are better than others, it seems like the real problem is that the base bolsters are too hard, high and close together. My partner says she had similar issues, but was eventually able to get the passenger side adjusted where it's alright.

I've been googling all week, and it seems like my options are:

1. Live with it, or maybe figure out how to adjust the seat so it's comfortable
2. Modify the seat somehow so that it fits me (extra foam in the center? Bend the seat pan outwards?)
3. Replace the seats with different ones
4. Replace the whole car with something else.

#3 is an interesting idea, but the only other seats I can seemingly confirm that would fit this car are the ones from a contemporary M2/M3/M4, which are awfully expensive, and look like they might be event tighter and harder.

I'd hate to do number 4, as this car is otherwise exactly the size and shape that I want, and there aren't a ton of alternatives of this general body style, but I have a trip to Tennessee (from Texas) planned for later this year, and I'm not sure I'd survive it if I have to sit in this seat the whole way.

Has anyone else been through this? If so, what did you do?

Fake edit: WRT #2, I'm not sure how feasible that is. Looking at a photo of the seat base with the foam removed, it looks like the reason the side bolsters are so hard is that they're mostly metal, and would probably be difficult to bend without damaging the adjustment mechanism.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 09:11 AM   #2
Mkesler75
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW f34

Can you include a picture? If you have the sport seats there is another option. I have a luxury line and the seats are much wider. Color will be a big determining factor on price but locally I see them on market place pretty often. Not a terrible swap but I believe some general coding may be involved.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 10:26 AM   #3
MR2Aaron
Registered
Rep

Photo attached.

I believe these are the "sport" seats, which are standard on the F36, as far as I can tell.

Are the "luxury line" ones you're referring to the base seats in F30? The ones that don't have the adjustable thigh support thingy?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 10:45 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

That's the sport seat. The base seat is pretty much the same, with the exception of the thigh bolster. I have the base seat, no complaints, I'm six feet 240 pounds.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 11:05 AM   #5
MR2Aaron
Registered
Rep

I found these local to me. They look a lot like the seats in the E46 I used to have, which fit me great.

I wonder if I could mix and match the bottom cushions with my power bases and arrive at a solution that keeps most of the adjustments. It's really just the left leg area that's a problem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0