F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Detailing Realisation
proTUNING Freaks

04-24-2024, 08:40 AM   #23
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Because of this forum I went through a phase for a few years where I would spend a silly amount of money on detailing products, and then waste entire weekends "detailing."

I would hear things from the wife along the lines of
"If only you cleaned the house like you clean the bloody cars."

I came to the realisation that I was better off paying the professionals to do it for me.
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18809.50
boba-fett1819.00
      04-24-2024, 10:08 AM   #24
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

On the theme of not paying a lot for a clean car, I take it one step further....

Screwfix 'no nonsense' shampoo (5 litre tub will last about 3 years) £7.99.
A free AutoGlym 'set' which came with a new Volvo in 2019. Most are less than half used to date. Includes rubber care silicone stuff so haven't paid for Gummi Pflege since either.

One tub of Turtlewax paste wax which lasts about 5 years. £6.75.

Two buckets of warm water, a sponge, a couple of microfibre cloths (which are washed in the machine regularly) and a fabric drying cloth for each wash.

I do use a little bit of acid wheel cleaner on my calipers and wheel hubs occasionally but never on the wheels themselves. Plus a bit of Autosol metal polish for the exhaust tips. Extravagant, I know!

All of my cars are spotless the majority of the time and it costs me about £5.00 a year to clean them all.

Do I win a prize?

Last edited by Pond; 04-24-2024 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 12:46 PM   #25
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

In pursuit of no orange peel....

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 07:45 PM   #26
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
The one product I've not managed to get a 'regular' favourite on is tyre shine - I used to rate the Meguiar's gel, but the replacement is nowhere near as good and doesn't last.

Anyone got a recommendation?
I’ve been using Gtechniq T2 Tyre Dressing and really like it. Easy to apply, gentle on the tyres so no cracking of the rubber, and doesn’t leave them shiny. Thumbs up from me.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 07:48 PM   #27
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

I’ve mostly settled on a combo of Bilt Hamber and Gtechniq products now. Both seem consistently good quality and not ridiculously priced. Always used Meguiars Gold Class shampoo too.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 12:12 AM   #28
Allworth
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d (E84)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post
On the theme of not paying a lot for a clean car, I take it one step further....

Screwfix 'no nonsense' shampoo (5 litre tub will last about 3 years) £7.99.
A free AutoGlym 'set' which came with a new Volvo in 2019. Most are less than half used to date. Includes rubber care silicone stuff so haven't paid for Gummi Pflege since either.

One tub of Turtlewax paste wax which lasts about 5 years. £6.75.

Two buckets of warm water, a sponge, a couple of microfibre cloths (which are washed in the machine regularly) and a fabric drying cloth for each wash.

I do use a little bit of acid wheel cleaner on my calipers and wheel hubs occasionally but never on the wheels themselves. Plus a bit of Autosol metal polish for the exhaust tips. Extravagant, I know!

All of my cars are spotless the majority of the time and it costs me about £5.00 a year to clean them all.

Do I win a prize?
No prize for you, as car detailing is different from keeping the car clean.
Personally only detailing I've done to my cars is wax with a cloth after a wash, I find this as a good opportunity to explore bodywork's car imperfections.
      04-25-2024, 08:59 AM   #29
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
The one product I've not managed to get a 'regular' favourite on is tyre shine - I used to rate the Meguiar's gel, but the replacement is nowhere near as good and doesn't last.

Anyone got a recommendation?
The Endurance gel? Has that gone now then? That was decent stuff!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 09:08 AM   #30
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
Because of this forum I went through a phase for a few years where I would spend a silly amount of money on detailing products, and then waste entire weekends "detailing."

I would hear things from the wife along the lines of
"If only you cleaned the house like you clean the bloody cars."

I came to the realisation that I was better off paying the professionals to do it for me.

I get similar comments. "If only you cared about me as much as your car"

She has a point though. Mechanically I am utterly obsessive. If I hear a strange noise or clunk, the bonnet is up immediately when I get home from work and peer underneath with a torch.

Exterior and interior though, I just don't care half as much. I touch in stone chips if I see any during it's bi-annual bath, but that's about it.

Still, the missus gets a damn sight more Asos parcels than I do car parts deliveries!!
Appreciate 0